Tuesday, October 25, 2011

MW's What To Wear In A Muslim Country


I received a message asking me what would be ideal to wear in Egypt in December, I thought initially I`d reply to her message, however I was instead inspired by the message to do a post on what Non-Muslims could potentially wear when they go to Muslim countries.


In Muslim countries, you will notice women are covered head to toe, possibly only their eyes visible. This is because in Islam, women are to dress modestly. Now, before I frighten every non-muslim away, this doesn`t mean you HAVE to dress like this. Not at all. However, DO think modest, loose clothing, nothing too revealing and you`ll get the jist of what kind of attire is suitable in these countries.
I would recommend long flowy skirts and dresses, which do not hug your figure, loose tunic tops over slim jeans, thin scarves (to keep the chest covered), big hats, big sunglasses and sandals.
Not only will this type of attire keep you modest in these countries, but it will also keep you cool in the heat (which is also very important).
I have included some ideas of outfits that you can get a general idea of what you could wear, as I feel pictures speak more volume than words:

A simple maxi dress with an oversized cocoon cardigan will keep you covered but also keeping it loose enough to keep you cool. Simple accessories to keep the outfit looking nice. And, of course the big oversized sunglasses because it`ll be too hot to wear make up so shove them on (lol)! And, the trilby hat to keep your face cool. I forgot to add a scarf, so any light flowy scarf would look nice with this outfit.
As you can see, I`ve kept the sandals and accessories the same, you don`t want to take SO many stuff with you and then not even use them all. This outfit, is balancing a loose blouse with a pair of slim jeans to keep your proportions in balance and a pashmina to throw over your shoulders to keep you modest yet looking elegant at the same time. This outfit would also be ideal in the evening for a meal in a restaurant teamed with a pair of nude heels instead of the sandals.
I ABSOLUTELY ADORE MAXI SKIRTS. In ANY colour/design, you`ll be able to work it! This will keep you modest and covered, yet the skirt should be flowy enough to keep you cool. Did I mention I LOVE maxi skirts?




This outfit is so cute. I love it! Tunic tops are fab for hot countries as you are modest, staying cool, yet looking absolutely GORGEOUS! You could also make this more casual with flats and jump on a camel hehe!
Also, you want to travel light to these countries because I`m pretty sure you`ll come across Bazaars and want to buy their pretty jewellery/scarves etc, so you want to keep some space for your new goodies in your suitcase.
But, you could even rock it out like Kim Kardashian, who is in Dubai at the moment and is embracing her Middle Eastern roots and rocking the abaya. Watch how she makes it the new 'it' item. ;)


[Photo: huffingtonpost.com]


I hope this helps anyone that is travelling to a Muslim country and wanted a general idea of what would be ideal to wear there. Also, I`m not saying you HAVE to cover up, you can easily team the maxi skirt with a tank top, etc. Its entirely up to you. But, you can wear current trends in a modest and elegant way in these Muslim countries. *thumbs up*
And, on a final note, the temperature will be cooler in the winter months, but it will still be hot, so do pack your sun block and take the scarves to cover your mouth from dust, etc.

Thanks for reading and I`ll leave you with a Coco Chanel quote to bear in mind when choosing your outfits to take on holiday:


'Adornment, what a science! Beauty, what a weapon! Modesty, what elegance!'

xo

P.S. easytoimagine.tumblr.com is who inspired my post. Check her blog out.

No comments:

Post a Comment