Sunday, October 28, 2012

MW Aime Paris: Partie Duex

Bonjour!

Partie duex to my previous post! 

Seventh stop: Arc de Triomphe
This is MASSIVE, much larger than I thought, especially as I saw it from the distance when we were at Place de la Concorde. This is basically in memorial of the soldiers during the World Wars. There is a tomb underneath which is famously known as The Unknown Soldier.


Eighth stop: Trocadéro/Eiffel Tower
This was the place I was most excited to visit, simply because it has the BEST view of the Eiffel Tower! I mean check out the photo! You get the entire tower view from this place. If you walk down the stairs of the Palace de Chaillot you will come across Jardins du Trocadéro, which is pretty amazing in itself. If you cross the street and walk across Pont d'Iéna you will be right underneath the Eiffel Tower. Here you can go to the second floor, or for the more adventurous - the top. Mama Mango, fainthearted,  opted out and didn`t want me to go up, either - so I missed out on the amazing views! But, I`m 100% sure the view would have been epic.

TIP: If you want to get a full shot of the Eiffel Tower then take the bus/metro to Trocadéro and follow the signs for 'Tour Eiffel' - I promise you it will take your breath away!


Jardins de Trocadéro behind me. The building behind me is the Palace de Chaillot. In this building, they adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948! 

Mama Mango enjoying the view before crossing Pont d'Iéna to get to the Left Bank where the Eiffel Tower resides.

Ninth stop: Eiffel Tower/Champ de Mers 
No introduction is obviously needed for the Eiffel Tower, but little trivia, when France was occupied by the Germans in 1940, the cable for the elevator was cut so Adolf Hitler had to walk RIGHT to the top - hah!

The Buddy Bears are currently in Paris where they have 140 pooh bears representing the countries that the UN recognise and they signify the peaceful coexistence of the countries...*awkward*
Find out more here.

At the foot of the Champ de Mers, you`ll find the 'Wall for Peace' which was inspired by the Wailing Wall of Jerusalem. It explains the Arabic and Hebrew writing of peace all around the monument. There`s a massive split view on the Wailing Wall of Jerusalem, where both Muslims and Jews hold it very high. For Muslims, it holds the foundation of the Aqsa Masjid and the Dome of Rock, but also it was the gate in which we believe our beloved Prophet (sws) came to Jerusalem from Mecca on a Buraq. Jews, it is one of their last remaining portions of the Temple of Solomon. The Jews want to reconstruct the Temple of Solomon, but in order to do so it would mean destroying the masjids - hence the massive split view on the Wall.

The view as I was approaching the Eiffel Tower.

The Buddy Bears all with their arms up ready for a hug.

Me with the Buddy Bears which show the love/coexistence between all the religions...


Tramp alert, clearly.



Wall for Peace


Magical view after Maghrib!

Tenth stop: Notre Dame
Everyone has heard of this cathedral, because of the book by Victor Hugo - Hunchback of Notre Dame! I was a little excited to see this! It oozed Gothic architecture with the gargoyle sculptures along the top of the cathedral. It was pretty cool to see, if I`m honest.


---

So, that was my trip to Paris! We saw PLENTY of culture and history in those two days, and we absolutely adored it. I would most definitely recommend to go to Paris if you haven`t been - I can`t believe I waited so long to explore this city?! 

Have you been? Where else would you recommend to go? Any tips? Share below!

If you are going any time soon, and want specific details etc, please do email me at mangowhirl@gmail.com and I`ll share everything (limited) I know to you! :)

Hope you enjoyed the photos/history lesson, as much as I did typing it up.

Hope everyone has had a lovely Eid weekend.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment