Wednesday, September 26, 2012

MW's DIY: Cute Cushion Covers

Whirlers,

Sunday. Sitting at home. Raining. Mama Mango watching Star Plus - what should I do?! I decided it was about time I learnt how to sew, so I rummaged in the cupboard underneath the stairs and dug out Mama Mango's old school sewing machine...and, begged her to deter her attention away from Arnav and Kushi to teach me!

And, this is how it all went down:
(click on photo to enlarge)


What I needed: 
- Material
- Cushion 
[I purchased mine when it was on sale on the H&M website - 99p! But, this was a while ago - but I`d keep an eye out all the time - H&M have amazing sales all the time]
- Black cotton thread
- Scissors
- Measuring Tape
-Sewing Machine

Measuring and cutting the material:

Mama Mango obviously didn`t want me to cut and mess it up, so she laid the material down on a flat surface, placed the cushion on top and measured the material.

She cut three pieces:
1 x large piece, which would cover one side of the cushion
2 x smaller pieces, the height would be the same as the larger pieces, but the width would be half of the cushion size's width, plus an inch or so over  - this is so you can fold a little over and create a nice edge (as you can see in the image below on the two smaller pieces), as well as the "fold over" (to insert the cushion)
[e.g. if your cushion, width wise is 30cm, then half would be 15cm, but adding an inch or so = 18/19cm]



To create the neater edge: 

Fold the edge over a little bit (little over 1cm) and pin it in place, this will create a neat edge. Sew this all the way down. 

Once you have done this to one side to each of the smaller pieces, lay the cushion back ontop of the pieces put together, so you can get an idea of how much you would need to sew around the outer edges. Mama Mango measured it where I would have an inch space to sew:


Again, using sewing pins, along the edges so the material wouldn`t move, put through the sewing machine. 


Make sure one of the smaller pieces overlaps the other small piece, as this is how the cushion will stay in its cushion cover, like this photo:


Ensure you do the sewing inside out.

And, once you`re done, turn it back around and put the cushion inside, and you should end up with something like this:



So, that was my first ever sewing project - I hope it was easy to understand! If not, please do email/comment/tweet me! 

What shall I do for my next project? Although, it was scary and a pain - I did feel the final outcome was rewarding (lol!)

Do let me know if you also make a cushion cover!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment